In the lead up to DrupalSouth your Track Leads will be on hand to review and assist you with your talk preparation. The following resources and checkpoint dates are available.
Before the event
- Google Slides presentation template (Optional). Choose File > Make a Copy to edit: https://tinyurl.com/y5erk6hw
- Watch the Speaker Tips session with Owen Lansbury
- Friday October 25: Draft talk structure complete and available for review by Track Lead
- Friday November 8: Draft slides complete
- Monday November 11 - Friday November 22: Talk practice & refinement
- Friday November 22: Final slides complete.
- Thursday November 28 - Friday November 29 (Live Event): Track Leads available for last minute review and practice if necessary.
On the day
- Note the time and room of your talk once the schedule is published
- Be in the room when the prior talk finishes so that you have ~15 minutes to set up
- Your Track Lead will introduce you and moderate audience questions at the end of your talk
- Ensure you have a female HDMI connector dongle for your laptop to connect to the projector
- Bring your own presentation pointer / clicker if you prefer to use one
General presentation tips
- Small rooms have up to 110 attendees, large rooms up to 250 attendees.
- Storyboard a draft structure to get the talk flow right before filling in content.
- Use approximately 1 slide per minute as a timing gauge. i.e. ~40 slides for 40 minutes.
- Use visuals in preference large slabs of text and bullet points unless necessary.
- Avoid videos that have sound, as this may or may not be possible to broadcast on the day.
- Have a pre-recorded backup for any live demos and a clear fallback in the talk if it fails.
- Avoid jargon and explain technical terms in plain English for the broadest possible understanding.
- Focus on benefits - e.g. “I did it this way for this benefit.”
- Match your delivery to the topic and mood of the room and use audience-appropriate humour.
- Speak clearly into the microphone and check the audience can hear you properly if you’re unsure.
- Practice, practice, practice!
- Presentations will be recorded
- Projectors format: 16:9
- Microphones: handheld (on the stand)